Protected by Copyscape Web Plagiarism Scanner

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year 2014!

Happy New Year from all of us! My little owl was celebrating the New Year with her father so she missed out on our photo booth, but I saved everything and tonight she will be ever so glam in the booth with her brothers. Can't wait!!!


Living in the south there are a few New Year traditions that still ring true one is you must eat black eyed peas or you are never going to have any good luck according to my grandmother.  And two cabbage better be in a pot somewhere on your stove. Most of the time I put black eyed peas in potatoes and green beans with butter and some sort of broth but this year I made it a little different. I decided since my son ate an entire jar of jalapenos that we will make them spicy! HA!

First up: Cabbage Rolls

I like my cabbage rolls in the crock pot but since we went hunting New Years Day and I didn't want to get up at 4am to make them, I decided to put them in the oven. (I will tell you, MAKE THEM IN THE CROCK POT MUCH BETTER)

Items Needed:

Head of Cabbage
1 pound of meatloaf meat (This is a blend of pork and beef usually)
Rice (cooked according to package)
1 tsp of garlic
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp of rosemary
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of salt and pepper
** If you like your roll to appear more like meatloaf then add some breadcrumbs and a egg, I don't like mine like that so I have omitted it in this recipe.


For the Sauce:
1 jar of tomato/spaghetti sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of vinegar
1/2 cup of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch

So first separate the cabbage leaves and boil them in hot water for 3 minutes or so.  Then cook the meat with all seasonings until brown, cook the rice according to package. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and mix well.

In the bottom of the crock pot add about 1/4 cup of the sauce. 

Stuff each cabbage leave with meat and rice mixture and add a tsp of sauce and roll cabbage leave similar to a egg roll. I sometimes roll them in a square. and place them seam side down in the sauce. Repeat until you have completely filled the crockpot or have run out of cabbage leaves/meat.

Pour remaining sauce over the top of the cabbage rolls and cook on low for 6-8 hours.



Spicy Black Eyed Peas

1 package of black eyes peas
8 oz of diced ham, you can also add bacon.
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 jar of jalapenos diced or 1-2 fresh jalapenos diced and seeded
1 small onion or use onion powder
1-2 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of cumin
2 cups of broth (chicken or vegetable)
2 cups of water

You can either throw all this in a crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or in a pot on the stove and let it simmer on low-medium for a few hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment